The Hoffman House, located in historic Kingston, New York was built prior to October 1679, and with few exceptions, the original structure is intact.
Little of the history of the house and its occupants between 1679 and 1707 is known other than the first recorded owner of the property was Edward Whittaker, an English solider in the employ of the Duke of York.
In 1707, when Nicholas Hoffman became the owner of the residence, all transactions and information pertinent to the building were recorded.
The most notable member of the Hoffman family was Nicholas’ son, Anthony. A blacksmith by trade, he served for many years as a trustee of Kingston, owned large estates in Ulster and Dutchess Counties, was an elected member of the Provincial Congress of New York City in 1774, was signer of the “Articles of Confederation” in 1775, was appointed a judge of Dutchess County in 1777, and was one of the regents of the University of New York in 1780.
In addition to its primary purpose as serving as a residence for the Hoffman family, it is believed that the building served as an early fortification and lookout, as evidenced not only by its location as the cornerstone of the Stockade area, but also by certain structural features (steps in the attic leading to the roof of the building).
On October 16th 1777, the British army plundered and burned Kingston. The Hoffman House was severely damaged but was restored by the family shortly thereafter. Char marks can still be seen in the attic section of the house.
The Hoffman Family owned and occupied the house for a total of 201 years. In 1908 it was given to the Salvation Army. During the mid part of the 1900’s, the residence was used as a warehouse and storage facility and fell into a state of total disrepair. In 1973, Kingston Urban Renewal Agency purchased it, and the exterior of the building was restored.